About the Challenge
The Verizon Innovative App Challenge provides the opportunity for middle school and high school students, working with a faculty advisor, to apply their STEM knowledge, ingenuity, and creativity to develop an original mobile app concept that incorporates STEM and addresses a need or problem in their school or community.
The goal of the Challenge is to increase student interest and knowledge in STEM subjects and mobile technology through an engaging and empowering learning experience.
Description and Purpose
The Verizon Innovative App Challenge is an exciting, creative and collaborative competition that offers $20,000 grants for winning middle schools and high schools and Samsung Galaxy Tabs for students on the winning teams. Designed to ignite students’ interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), the Challenge shows students exciting new possibilities for their futures, opening doors they may never have known were there.
- Working with a faculty advisor in teams of 5 - 7, students develop an original concept for a mobile app that incorporates STEM principles and content and addresses a real need or problem in their school or community. While designing their apps, students consider marketplace need, usefulness, audience and viability. Teams submit their design concepts online through a visual presentation accompanied by an essay.
- One middle school and one high school team from each state will be judged "Best in State" and be eligible for consideration as "Best in Region" winners. Team members will be invited to participate in a live STEM related webinar hosted by the Verizon Foundation.
- Twenty-four (24) Best in Region winners will be selected from the Best in State teams around the country based on the judging rubric. Each of the twenty-four (24) regional winning schools (12 middle school and 12 high school teams) will receive $5,000 cash grants plus virtual support and training to help them build out their app concepts.
- A distinguished panel of STEM educators and corporate innovators will then judge the Best in Region teams’ app concepts and designs based on their online submissions and their presentations during a live webinar. The four (4) top middle school and four top high school teams will be selected and announced as 2014 Verizon Innovative App Challenge winners.
- Each of the eight (8) winning schools (4 middle school and 4 high school teams) will receive $15,000 cash grants plus professional support and training to help them build out their app concepts and bring them to life. Students on each winning team will receive a Samsung Galaxy Tab and be invited to present their developed apps in person – on their new tablets – at the 2014 National Technology Student Association Conference in Washington, D.C. in June, 2014.
Special recognition will also be awarded for apps which support the Three Pillars of the Verizon Foundation: Education, Healthcare, and Energy Management:
The Verizon Innovative App Challenge offers a unique opportunity for students around the country to participate in a rich, project-based learning experience that fosters teamwork and encourages them to explore new ideas and consider future careers in STEM.
Registration opens September 3, 2013 and submissions will be accepted through December 17, 2013